In sickness...

Snooze is quite unwell at the moment. Seems to be some sort of flu thing, not entirely sure, but she's not very happy in the world.

When someone close to me gets sick, it makes me realise how effectively useless I am. Oh, I'm quite happy to flap around and make disparaging comments about not taking sick days when one is sick, or produce hot lemon and honey drinks and the like, but when push comes to shove, I'm not really any help at all. I can do comfort, but I can't do help.

This doesn't really come as an enormous shock. I'm an Arts graduate with a good musical ear and a penchant for bureaucratic orderliness - not an emergency doctor, or a chemist or anything remotely useful in that sense.

I am certainly not alone in lacking two handy sticks to rub together. It may be considered uncharitable, but not completely inaccurate to say that the majority of my friends fall into the same category, with some notable exceptions.

So what happens when stuff goes wrong? Fortunately, we don't have to deal with stuff going wrong too often. But I think of a me living in Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Lebanon. To have the same sense of uselessness, but magnified many times over by the frequency of badnesses.

Gah! - this is sounding preachy which is not at all what I'm trying to do. There are many more eloquent writers who have a better grasp of what's going on in the world than I do. It's just that sometimes I get a glimpse of what it must be like, and it makes me sad and angry and frustrated at my inability to help or to be helpful.

Still. Snooze will perk up in a couple of days. I'll stop having lunch and stop moping and go back to work. The weather will get warmer, or snow will fall, or my football team will actually win a game and stuff will be fine.

But just every now and then, I think it's good to wallow and to think about just how useless I actually am so that I can appreciate how good things really are.

Anyway. Levity will resume shortly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just follow the freakin rules

Brokeback Goblet