Distracted much?

I'm sorry, what was that? I missed it.

Oh I see, sure.

...

Um, look I know we just went over this, but what did you just say again?

Oh, yep yep, sweet.

...

So it was...

Ah, yes, that's right - the items. Of course. I'll get onto it straight away.




There was a line used by a reviewer not so long ago in relation to a new play by a notable young Melbourne playwright that went something along the lines of: "if you've ever wondered what it's like to watch Lally Katz eat her own brain then see this show".

I think I'm half way through my own brain at this point and I've just reached the productivity centre. I'm pretty much a productivity free zone right at the moment. Fortunately, there's not too much on at work, so it's not as disastrous as it could easily be, but still...

Somewhat predictably, it's the show that's weighing on my mind (and it seems I'm not the only one").

Last time we visited this topic I was being a whingey bitch. You may be bored witless pleased to hear that things are now looking up considerably. I'm much happier with what I'm doing, but more importantly, the show is coming together very nicely indeed.

We have three weeks to opening night. Just typing that gives me the flutters, but we're in a very good position for the final push ("tally ho, boys!" etc). This is when things really start to happen. Scripts are down, lines are learnt, the production team is hitting their stride, costumes and props are appearing, details being worked out, sound and light, entrances and exits, timing, shaping, polishing. This is when it starts to get serious.


Each rehearsal that comes and goes marks another one down before the actual performance. Nerves start to flit around the cast and crew. Publicity ramps up, ticket sales open, flyers and programs, headshots and bios. You can't go back now, the course is set inexorably.

At this point the cast is at about 40%. As we start to do runs of Acts, that will pick up to 50% or so. Add costumes and another 10-15% will appear again. Then the live band arrives - up to 70%. Full runs another 10%. By the time we hit the theatre itself, we should be getting there. Add the final ingredients of space, lights, sound, band, costumes and audience combined and we'll be bouncing off the walls.

This is what it's all about.










For those of you interested, a number of the cast (yes, including me) will be performing live on Derek Guille's Evening Show on 774 ABC Melbourne this coming Tuesday night (21 November). We should be on around 7:45pm-ish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just follow the freakin rules

Brokeback Goblet