Whilst my guitar gently weeps

Dear English Speaking World,

Please kindly refrain from using the word "whilst". It shits me.

"While" is perfectly adequate in every situation. It is never necessary to use whilst under any circumstances. Ever.

Whilst is for people who like to sound officious. Whilst is for people who want to sound cleverer than they are.

Won't somebody think of the children etc??!!

I won't have it. NO MORE!!

And while you're at it, get rid of "bumpkin" too.

Sincerely, Tom.

Comments

  1. Oh, but I just adored the Sandra Bullock comedy "Whilst You Were Sleeping".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Munkey, that is perhaps the finest italicisation I have read this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ex brother in law had a similar problem with "obligated". He couldn't see where it would be needed in place of the slightly less syllable-rich "obliged".

    ReplyDelete
  4. And while we're on it, what's with "orientated", just plain "oriented" does the trick just fine.

    Am I becoming a bitter old pedant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and 'myself'. As in, 'please return it to myself'. That shits me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just follow the freakin rules

Brokeback Goblet