All my frendz r belong to bookface

WTF!?

I turn my back for one minute and the internets have been kidnapped by Myspaz for grown-ups. Honestly, the number of people who are suddenly facebooked up is growing with alarming speed.

Various people have tried to explain it to me - sounds like a cross between Myspace, Twitter and instant messaging with pictures - but I can't say I'm particularly drawn. But then maybe that's because I'm not someone who necessarily WANTS to find a long lost classmate from my high school days and can think of few things less appealing than having to decide if I really want to be someone's e-friend if invited.

To further my exasperation, Facebook is all secretly protected behind a members only screen. Maybe this is why people like it so much, it keeps the publics prying eyes away. But at the same time it means that anyone who's not completely sold on it can't just go and have a look. It's annoying, and simply adds to the whole feeling of exclusion.

Still, there seems to be plenty of hip folks leaping onto the bandwagon and raving about its wonderfulness so maybe it's not all a disaster (though I'm yet to be convinced).

So, Facebook: the dawn of a new age, or an irritating fad?

Discuss.

Comments

  1. I'm with you, Tom. I keep getting invitations to join facebook but I'm convinced that the government will be able to use it to collect information about me. But I also remember being against the whole idea of mobile phones too... perhaps I'm a technophone deep down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I didn't mean to post my full name there! Damn that autofill! Now the government knows everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just follow the freakin rules

Brokeback Goblet