I love the smell of democracy etc.

I have ceased to enjoy it. Yesterday's polls spooked me. Now I just want it over and done with.

My ballot paper now nestles among it's friends in a ballot box at the North Fitzroy Primary School waiting patiently for the moment it cascades onto a table in the closed polling centre to be placed on a pile. 1 for the good guys.

Standing in the line waiting to vote we were surrounded by people of all shapes and sizes and all political bents. Snooze and I shared a laugh at the ludicrously type-cast Liberal staffers - girlfriend and boyfriend we hypothesised, both in their early twenties. She dressed in short shorts, blonde perky ponytail, big gold-adorned sunglasses and fake tan. He in iron-free tan chinos (FFS!), navy polo shirt (collar up) and the obligatory boat shoes.

The bechilded couple in front of us clutched two how-to-vote leaphlets: one for the Liberals, one for the Greens. Only in North Fitzroy.

As we stood there quietly in the sunshine, I was overcome with a sense of solidarity. I couldn't hate those people behind us voting Liberal. I may not agree with them, I think they're horribly wrong, but they're doing what they feel is right - just as we all do. The Family First woman handing out their how-to-vote cards is doing it because she feels as strongly about her view as we do ours.

There is something truly extraordinary about getting up in the morning with every one of your fellow countrymen, all around the continent, wandering down to the local primary school and voting out a Government before heading off for a bite of breakfast.

Regardless of the outcome this evening, the act of voting has, as it often does, restored my faith in the system. If John Howard is returned as Prime Minister I will be genuinely devastated, but I can't escape the fact that if it happens, it will be because more people disagree with me than not. It doesn't get much more representative than democracy.

And with that offering to the karma gods, let me now say this. Come on Australia. Don't lose your nerve. Not now. It's hard to kick out a Government, but you can do it. I have faith.

Vote the bastards out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just follow the freakin rules

Brokeback Goblet