Into the unkown

Tomorrow morning at 7:30, Snooze and I will pile our stuff into a 4WD and start out on a 1,700km journey to a place called Yalata.


We will spend a couple of days in this remote aboriginal community and then head to Oak Valley, an even more remote aboriginal community 500kms or so North West of Yalata. Right in the guts of the country.


The reason for the trip is a book that Snooze is editing about the Anangu communities in these settlements. Yalata and Oak valley are the end result of the aboriginal displacement caused by the Maralinga nuclear test range. I expect it will be quite confronting but also quite extraordinary.

Despite living all my life in this country, I have never ventured into what can genuinely be called the Outback. I've spent plenty of time in the Bush, but never the deserts. I think it might be quite alien but I am very much looking forward to it.

If I feel it's appropriate I might blog about it when I get back home.

In the meantime, wish us luck...

Comments

  1. Dude, that's awesome. Doubtless your trip will be amazing. I spent a couple of months in the desert with my family when I was a kid, but not since and I'd dearly love to go back. Meanwhile, I'll have to be content with the paved streets of Paris.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just follow the freakin rules

Brokeback Goblet